- Interview with Jason Smith
Jason is a developer for the Developer Experience (DX) team with
Canonical and works on the Unity desktop shell. In particualar the
launcher. We ask him how it's going, what the plans are for Natty, and what
we should be looking forward to in Natty+1.
Links Jason mentions in the interview
- Craig: Nadda
- Rick: Pro Python
We need your help. Craig and I have spoken our concerns about what Unity means to the future of Ubuntu. Thursday March 24th, we'll be interviewing Jason Smith of Canonical who works on the Unity team. We'd like to know what you'd ask him if you got a chance.
- How close are things to planned functionality for Natty?
- What kind of testing is going on behind the scenes?
- What types of users is Canonical targeting as the average Unity user?
Let us know what you'd like us to ask. Submit your question here in the comments or email the question to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for your help!
- Freedombox and Humans are the router
- The Banshee saga goes on and on
- Craig: Pro Python
- me one more time by REVENGE from FEST OF REVENGE
- Robbotica System by Cibernetica from The Ultimate Bio Commando
- Fallout by Severed Fifth from Nightmares By Design
- Putrid Pigs by BRUTAL MURDER from Intracranial Total Insanity
- By yourself by Redmind from Step back from the edge
- Discipline by Nine Inch Nails from The Slip
With all this focus on making desktop linux something for the mass market, is there a chance that we end up removing the great things that drew us to the platform as users/developers? Is it possible to have a product that wins with the mass market as well as the people that there building and developing things? Listen/watch the rant and let me know what you think. Do we need something different for Ubuntu users? What would an "Ubuntu Developer Edition" look like in your mind?
- Ubuntu Happenings
- Ubuntu 11.04 Drops Release Candidate / News / Online / Home - Ubuntu User
- No GPLv3 Software on Windows Phone 7 / XBox app store?
- Banshee by default brings headaches for Canonical
- Nokia/MS Partnership
- Meego - "desktop QT is not our R&D priority right now http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/02/18/buckets-of-cold-water/ (KDE in danger?)
- One month to PyCon! Sign up for sprints
- Linux Workshop NY State Loco - Feb 19th
- Ubucon pre - SCaLE 9x Cali Loco - Feb 25th Southern Cali Linux Expo
- Feb 17th, 10.04.2 due out
- Heads up, feature freeze coming Feb 24th
- Ubuntu Happenings
- Canonical Joins Openstack (6mo release cycle)
- Dell/Ubuntu cloud offering
- Diaspora/Facebook and the openness of social networking
- Intro - We're Back!
- Amber: http://akgraner.com/?p=763
- Codemash Jan 12-14th Sandusky OH
- You've got some events to pub let us know email@example.com
- Current state, what is it? We all probably know by now
- Default...parts that are missing
- Overall goals, touch, etc
- Conflict with Gnome, still a 'gnome-toolkit' desktop?
- Other UDS highlights
- New ad they had? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYTJPaM82nQ
- Tons of youtube video
- Banshee - amazon mp3 vs U1 music store?
- Developer push with things like software center, paid apps, donation for apps, trying to get more apps into center
- Jim Barber
- Got some feedback in from a guy sailing his boat Esmeralda and uses the podcast to help pass the time from port to port. Running Ubuntu and learning python after doing some pascal stuff back in the day.
- Want to see about an interview, back from his last voyage this Dec. Try to get a skype interview going
- Nook Color - the non (E-) e-reader
- Kudai - Kudai 2.0
- Binarpilot - KDR Assault
- Reno Project - Hot Street
- Countdown - El Diablo
- REVENGE - eat me one more time